Saturday, June 2, 2012

Kushi, Washington, DC

My friend and I were heading to the DC United game about two weeks ago. Soccer is not my thing, but I figure I be a good friend and be social. I bought this Livingsocial deal back in the fall. GPS told us it was only a few miles away, so off we went.

I think honestly it was 4 miles away from RFK and it took us 35minutes. And don't park in the apartment area, my car got a will be towed sticker on it. Luckily we got back to my car in time.

Kushi is one of these hip trendy sushi places. I'm not a hipster, and while it was a good place, I didn't like the atmosphere. I honestly like those smaller sushi places that make you feel more at home.

Kushi is also a Izakaya restaurant. So if you have a friend who isn't fond of raw fish, they have a large menu of other goodies. Some of these menu choices look fantastic. We sat at the bar where they cooked and it was neat seeing one of the chefs pull out this fish put it on a skewer, season it and place it on the grill.

Time for the food!

I ordered a miso soup and a small salad. I have to say the carrot dressing was flipping amazing. I wish they sold it, I would have bought some. The miso was way too salty. Working in a steakhouse I know the miso was leftover from lunch and not fresh. Miso soup that dark has been sitting on the burner for a bit.

My friend ordered some shichimi blue shrimp. They weren't very flavorful and I'm not fan of peeling my own shrimp. I don't want to work for my food!

We ordered shrimp katsu with spicy mayo, salmon roll, salmon, California roll with jumbo lump crap, and seared fatty salmon belly nigiri.

Everything tasted fresh. The food quality was good, considering the price it should be. And for a DC restaurant the prices were fair. But this is definitely not a place you go to on a budget.

But honestly this place isn't memorable about the sushi. I really liked the grill and if I come back I definitely want to eat some of those skewers they were making.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment