Monday, October 31, 2011

Old Dominion Brewhouse


I was super excited about Saturday; it was my first Washington Capital game of the year. I was meeting up with my coworkers and one of their husbands for good ole night of drinking, eating, and hockey. I Googled a bar named Old Dominion Brewhouse, which is on 9th Street in D.C. about two blocks from the Verizon Center.

When I checked the menu beforehand, I only looked at the appetizers and salads I didn’t scroll down further. I got a basic gist of the menu so I was good and done. I had no idea it was a sushi restaurant. When I heard Old Dominion Brewhouse I was thinking a nice bar and good ole American food. Many restuarauants have Japanese appetizers on their menu, so I didn’t think anything of it. My co-workers thought I had known and that’s why I picked it!

So now I’m intrigued. The reviews on the web weren’t promising. So I’m like oh well we picked it let’s go. The bar is a short walk away from the Mt. Vernon Square Metro station. It was very easy to find. When we walked in the bar was hopping. The restaurant was divided into four sections: bar, seating area, sushi bar, and additional seating probably their party room. They sat us in the main seating area. Which was fine at first, but then they started blasting the Alabama game and we had to move. The speaker was over our heads.

I wasn’t in a mood to make decisions so I just got a sushi regular platter. When it came out it was a California roll, two pieces of Spanish mackerel, tuna, yellowtail, and salmon. The platter was $19. My only criticism is that the pieces looked a little small, but it tasted fine and the sushi rice was good.

Nothing intrigued me on their specialty roll menu. So I just ordered another order of salmon and I was full. I also munched on my friend’s nachos and had three drinks. Which considering my bill was only $47 (it was $54, but it dropped not sure why but why complain?) Our server was awesome.

Would I eat here again for sushi? Yes, if I’m in the area I would definitely consider it again, unless I find a better sushi place. Which is possible with the Verizon Center being so close to China Town.

Grade: B+.
(Drinks A+) :D

No comments:

Post a Comment